The Team is always looking to recruit new Operational members. If you fit into the following criteria you may be interested in joining:
If you think you have what it takes to be a Mountain Rescue team member why not apply to join us?
We are looking for people who are…
- Aged between 18 – 70.
- Physically fit.
- Live within about one hours travelling time of the Team base in Snainton.
- Have their own transport.
- Are experienced outdoor enthusiasts (eg hill walker, climber, mountain biker)
- Are medical professionals with an interest in search and rescue are welcome to apply.
- Are able to offer the Team a minimum of 150 hours of your time a year.
- Enjoy working as part of a team.
The Team usually has a single intake of trainees each year, but those wishing to be considered for operational membership are encouraged to contact the team at any time through the year to record their interest. Prospective operational team members must attend one of our open evenings which we generally hold each autumn before being considered for inclusion in our training programme towards Operational membership.
Training new operational members is something the team takes very seriously, and the team invests a considerable amount of time and effort in our trainee members. Admission to the training programme is selective and you may not be successful at your first attempt.
We accept applications for associate membership at any time through the year and joining as an associate member is a good way to get to know the team while waiting for the annual operational induction.
All trainee members must complete the Team’s eleven core training modules and meet the Team’s minimum time commitment before progressing to active duty on the call out list. This usually takes 6-12 months. After three months on the call out list, and at least twelve months on the programme, trainees can be nominated for full team membership and voted onto the team.
To be operational all team members are expected to maintain a rolling annual commitment of 150 hours to the team and be currently qualified in the eleven core training modules of the team. These are:
- Basic life support
- Immediate casualty care
- Casualty and stretcher handling
- Find site protocols
- Helicopter ground briefing (online training)
- Navigation and GPS
- Radio equipment and procedures
- Team rope responder
- Search techniques
- Water awareness (DEFRA level 1)
Trainees are required to pay a refundable deposit of £80 to cover team-issued personal protective equipment (PPE). Once voted onto the team this covers the first year of membership subs for the team (currently £80 a year). Full team members are issued with a range of official team outdoor clothing and equipment.
All prospective trainee members are expected to have the following equipment to be able to start training:
- Walking Trousers/Leggings (not cotton)
- Baselayer (not cotton)
- Warm Layer/Fleece
- Walking Boots (B1 preferred, must be above ankle)
- Warm Hat
- Warm Gloves
- Waterproof Jacket and Trousers
- Rucksack (ideally 40-50 litres)
- OS OL26 NYM West Map (Laminated preferred)
- OS OL27 NYM East Maps (Laminated preferred)
- Compass (Large baseplate type such as Silva type 4 preferred)
- Survival Bag
- Hand Held Torch (LED Lenser P7/2D Maglite as a guide)
- Head Torch
- Spare Batteries
- Note Pad
- Pencils/Pens (Map pens and Chinagraph ideal)
- Personal First Aid Kit
- Spare Boot Laces
- Food (sufficient for a day on the hill)
In addition team members are expected to have or purchase the items of equipment listed below before qualifying for call out list status.
- Rescue Knife (Bullet Nosed Preferred)
- OS Explorer 290 York and Selby Map (Laminated preferred)
- OS Explorer 300 Malton and Howardian Hills Map (Laminated preferred)
- OS Explorer 301 Scarborough Map (laminated preferred)
This equipment is a team members callout gear and should be carried at all times when out with the Team. You are expected to be self-sufficient for 24 hours and should be aware of the environment and conditions that you will be expected to operate in.
If you are considering applying to join the team we strongly recommend you take advice from current team members before investing in any equipment you do not have.
Still interested? Fill in a contact form here